Genomes and Genes
- Santoni M, Buti S, Conti A, Porta C, Procopio G, Sternberg C, et al. Prognostic significance of host immune status in patients with late relapsing renal cell carcinoma treated with targeted therapy. Target Oncol. 2015;10:517-22 pubmed publisher..A better characterization of baseline immunological impairment may optimize the management of this RCC subpopulation. ..
- Montironi R, Santoni M, Lopez Beltran A, Cheng L, Moch H, Scarpelli M. Morphologic and molecular backgrounds for personalized management of genito-urinary cancers: an overview. Curr Drug Targets. 2015;16:96-102 pubmed..PSMA can serve as target for delivering therapeutic agents such as cytotoxins or radionuclides. ..
- Montironi R, Mazzucchelli R, Scarpelli M, Lopez Beltran A, Cheng L. Update on selected renal cell tumors with clear cell features. With emphasis on multilocular cystic clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Histol Histopathol. 2013;28:1555-66 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, recognition of CCRCC and differentiation from other renal cell neoplasms with clear cytoplasm is important not only for prognostication but also for treatment-related reasons. ..
- Montironi R, Mazzucchelli R, Barbisan F, Stramazzotti D, Santinelli A, Scarpelli M, et al. HER2 expression and gene amplification in pT2a Gleason score 6 prostate cancer incidentally detected in cystoprostatectomies: comparison with clinically detected androgen-dependent and androgen-independent cancer. Hum Pathol. 2006;37:1137-44 pubmed..This may contribute to a better understanding of the results obtained in screening programs where insignificant cancers are detected along with clinically significant cancers. ..
- Montironi R, Mazzucchelli R, Scarpelli M, Lopez Beltran A, Cheng L. Morphological diagnosis of urothelial neoplasms. J Clin Pathol. 2008;61:3-10 pubmed..The WHO 2004 classification is currently used. However, the WHO 1973 classification is still considered by many urologists and oncologists as the international standard in patient management. ..
- Montironi R, Scarpelli M, Lopez Beltran A, Mazzucchelli R, Alberts D, Ranger Moore J, et al. Chromatin phenotype karyometry can predict recurrence in papillary urothelial neoplasms of low malignant potential. Cell Oncol. 2007;29:47-58 pubmed
- Montironi R, Thompson D, Scarpelli M, Mazzucchelli R, Peketi P, Hamilton P, et al. Karyometry detects subvisual differences in chromatin organization state between cribriform and flat high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia. Mod Pathol. 2004;17:928-37 pubmed
- Scalici Gesolfo C, Serretta V, Di Maida F, Giannone G, Barresi E, Franco V, et al. Clinical implications of a rare renal entity: Pleomorphic Hyalinizing Angiectatic Tumor (PHAT). Pathol Res Pract. 2017;213:165-169 pubmed publisher..Due to the clinical behavior of this tumor, in spite of its benign nature, review of the surgical margins and close follow up after partial nephrectomy are mandatory. ..
- Raspollini M, Montagnani I, Montironi R, Cheng L, Martignoni G, Minervini A, et al. A contemporary series of renal masses with emphasis on recently recognized entities and tumors of low malignant potential: A report based on 624 consecutive tumors from a single tertiary center. Pathol Res Pract. 2017;213:804-808 pubmed publisher..This information may assist urologists in developing guidelines for counseling and proper clinical management for patients with "low malignant potential" tumors or small renal masses. ..
- Montironi R, Bartels P, Decensi A, Puntoni M, Hurle R, DeCobelli O, et al. A randomized phase IIb presurgical study of finasteride vs. low-dose flutamide vs. placebo in men with prostate cancer. Efficacy monitored by karyometry. Urol Oncol. 2013;31:557-65 pubmed publisher..This exploratory study establishes that karyometric monitoring can track the results of subtle nuclear changes induced by preventive interventions in men with CaP, thus allowing assessment of agent activity in a cost-effective manner. ..
- Passalacqua R, Lazzarelli S, Donini M, Montironi R, Tambaro R, De Giorgi U, et al. Real-life clinical practice results with vinflunine in patients with relapsed platinum-treated metastatic urothelial carcinoma: an Italian multicenter study (MOVIE-GOIRC 01-2014). BMC Cancer. 2017;17:493 pubmed publisher..In routine clinical practice the results obtained with VFL seem to be better than the results of the registration trial and reinforce evidence supporting its use after failure of a platinum-based chemotherapy. ..
- Montironi R, Cheng L, Mazzucchelli R, Morichetti D, Stramazzotti D, Santinelli A, et al. Immunohistochemical detection and localization of somatostatin receptor subtypes in prostate tissue from patients with bladder outlet obstruction. Cell Oncol. 2008;30:473-82 pubmed..6% of the endothelial cells. With subtypes 3 and 4 the greatest proportion of cells showed a weak intensity (73.5 and 56.4%, respectively). With the subtype 2 and 5 the majority of cells were negative (59.1 and 50.7%, respectively). ..
- Massari F, Ciccarese C, Santoni M, Iacovelli R, Mazzucchelli R, Piva F, et al. Metabolic phenotype of bladder cancer. Cancer Treat Rev. 2016;45:46-57 pubmed publisher..A deep understanding of the metabolic phenotype of bladder cancer will provide novel opportunities for targeted therapeutic strategies. ..
- Montironi R, Mazzucchelli R, Lopez Beltran A, Scarpelli M, Cheng L. Prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia: its morphological and molecular diagnosis and clinical significance. BJU Int. 2011;108:1394-401 pubmed publisher..Some recent studies have suggested that molecular findings associated with HGPIN might be able to predict which men are more likely to have cancer on re-biopsy...
- Montironi R, Mazzucchelli R, Lopez Beltran A, Cheng L, Scarpelli M. Mechanisms of disease: high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia and other proposed preneoplastic lesions in the prostate. Nat Clin Pract Urol. 2007;4:321-32 pubmed
- Montironi R, Mazzucchelli R, Barbisan F, Stramazzotti D, Santinelli A, Lopez Beltran A, et al. Immunohistochemical expression of endothelin-1 and endothelin-A and endothelin-B receptors in high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia and prostate cancer. Eur Urol. 2007;52:1682-9 pubmed..High-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (HGPIN) was also investigated...
- Montironi R, Cheng L, Lopez Beltran A, Scarpelli M. Quantitative Image Analysis on Histologic Virtual Slides for Prostate Pathology Diagnosis, Response to Chemopreventive Agents, and Prognosis. Eur Urol Focus. 2017;3:467-469 pubmed publisher..This requires combining and integrating our knowledge of uropathology with that of engineering and informatics. ..