Affiliation: National Cancer Registry
- Sharp L, Timmons A. Social welfare and legal constraints associated with work among breast and prostate cancer survivors: experiences from Ireland. J Cancer Surviv. 2011;5:382-94 pubmed publisher..IMPLICATIONS FOR SURVIVORS: In formulating strategies to optimise survivors' employment outcomes, it is important that policy- and decision-makers are aware of the influence of social welfare and legal provisions. ..
- Sharp L, Tilson L, Whyte S, Ó Céilleachair A, Walsh C, Usher C, et al. Cost-effectiveness of population-based screening for colorectal cancer: a comparison of guaiac-based faecal occult blood testing, faecal immunochemical testing and flexible sigmoidoscopy. Br J Cancer. 2012;106:805-16 pubmed publisher..Weighing these advantages and disadvantages presents a considerable challenge to policy makers. ..
- Sharp L, McDevitt J, Carsin A, Brown C, Comber H. Smoking at diagnosis is an independent prognostic factor for cancer-specific survival in head and neck cancer: findings from a large, population-based study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2014;23:2579-90 pubmed publisher..Greater efforts are needed to encourage and support smoking cessation in those at risk of, and diagnosed with, head and neck cancer. ..
- Sharp L, Deady S, Gallagher P, Molcho M, Pearce A, Alforque Thomas A, et al. The magnitude and characteristics of the population of cancer survivors: using population-based estimates of cancer prevalence to inform service planning for survivorship care. BMC Cancer. 2014;14:767 pubmed publisher..These types of population-based estimates may help decision-makers, planners and service providers to develop follow-up and after-care services to effectively meet survivors' needs. ..
- Sharp L, Cardy A, Cotton S, Little J. CYP17 gene polymorphisms: prevalence and associations with hormone levels and related factors. a HuGE review. Am J Epidemiol. 2004;160:729-40 pubmed..Further investigation of relations between genotype and hormone levels, exogenous hormone use, and markers of hormonal status may advance understanding of hormonally mediated diseases. ..
- Sharp L, Cotton S, Thornton A, Gray N, Whynes D, Smart L, et al. Which women default from follow-up cervical cytology tests? A cohort study within the TOMBOLA trial. Cytopathology. 2012;23:150-60 pubmed publisher..Tackling default will require development of targeted strategies to encourage attendance and research to better understand the reasons underpinning default. ..