Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Thessaly
- Zintzaras E, Kowald A. A mathematical model of HIV dynamics in the presence of a rescuing virus with replication deficiency. Theory Biosci. 2011;130:127-34 pubmed publisher..The proposed model may provide new insights in the dynamical behavior and future alternative treatments of HIV. ..
- Zintzaras E, Raman G, Kitsios G, Lau J. Angiotensin-converting enzyme insertion/deletion gene polymorphic variant as a marker of coronary artery disease: a meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168:1077-89 pubmed publisher..The meta-analysis also highlights the heterogeneity of reported results, considerable gaps in research, and the need for future studies focused on certain high-risk patient populations. ..
- Zintzaras E, Kitsios G, Papathanasiou A, Konitsiotis S, Miligkos M, Rodopoulou P, et al. Randomized trials of dopamine agonists in restless legs syndrome: a systematic review, quality assessment, and meta-analysis. Clin Ther. 2010;32:221-37 pubmed publisher..6% (1.3% to 18.5%), respectively. In the trial of sumanirole, the PAE value was 2% (0% to 5.4%). Based on the findings from the meta-analysis, DAs were significantly more efficacious in the treatment of RLS compared with placebo. ..
- Zintzaras E. Association of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) polymorphisms with genetic susceptibility to gastric cancer: a meta-analysis. J Hum Genet. 2006;51:618-24 pubmed..In conclusion, there is evidence of association between MTHFR polymorphisms and GC, mainly in East Asians. ..
- Zintzaras E, Rodopoulou P, Sakellaridis N. Variants of the arachidonate 5-lipoxygenase-activating protein (ALOX5AP) gene and risk of stroke: a HuGE gene-disease association review and meta-analysis. Am J Epidemiol. 2009;169:523-32 pubmed publisher..Tests for bias revealed no evidence of biases. Rigorous genetic association studies investigating gene-gene-environment interactions may generate more conclusive claims about the genetics of stroke. ..
- Zintzaras E. Gamma-aminobutyric acid A receptor, ?-2 (GABRA2) variants as individual markers for alcoholism: a meta-analysis. Psychiatr Genet. 2012;22:189-96 pubmed publisher..To interpret these results, a meticulous meta-analysis of all available studies was carried out...
- Zintzaras E. Is there evidence to claim or deny association between variants of the multidrug resistance gene (MDR1 or ABCB1) and inflammatory bowel disease?. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2012;18:562-72 pubmed publisher..More evidence is needed to draw safe conclusions regarding the association of MDR1 variants and development of IBD. ..
- Zintzaras E. Is catechol-O-methyl transferase 472G/A gene polymorphism a marker associated with alcoholism?. Psychiatr Genet. 2011;21:29-36 pubmed publisher..There is no conclusive evidence that catechol-O-methyl transferase 472G/A is a marker associated with alcoholism. More evidence is needed to draw safe conclusions regarding this association. ..
- Zintzaras E, Kitsios G, Ziogas D, Rodopoulou P, Karachalios T. Field synopsis and synthesis of genetic association studies in osteoarthritis: the CUMAGAS-OSTEO information system. Am J Epidemiol. 2010;171:851-8 pubmed publisher..CUMAGAS-OSTEO may be a useful tool for identifying pertinent gene-osteoarthritis associations and providing an updated summary of risk effects. ..
- Zintzaras E, Kitsios G. Synopsis and synthesis of candidate-gene association studies in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: the CUMAGAS-CLL information system. Am J Epidemiol. 2009;170:671-8 pubmed publisher..CUMAGAS-CLL would be a useful tool for current genomic epidemiology research in the field of CLL. ..
- Zintzaras E, Ziogas D, Kitsios G, Papathanasiou A, Lau J, Raman G. MTHFR gene polymorphisms and response to chemotherapy in colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis. Pharmacogenomics. 2009;10:1285-94 pubmed publisher..The available evidence indicates that MTHFR C677T and A1298C gene polymorphisms cannot be considered as reliable predictors of response to fluorouracil-based chemotherapy in patients with colorectal cancer. ..
- Zintzaras E, Stefanidis I. Association between the GLUT1 gene polymorphism and the risk of diabetic nephropathy: a meta-analysis. J Hum Genet. 2005;50:84-91 pubmed..Although there is evidence of association between GLUT1 and DN, the above findings reinforce the need for further and more rigorous association studies. ..
- Zintzaras E. Maternal gene polymorphisms involved in folate metabolism and risk of Down syndrome offspring: a meta-analysis. J Hum Genet. 2007;52:943-53 pubmed..Large and rigorous case-control studies that investigate gene-gene and gene-environment interactions need to be performed before conclusive claims about the genetics of DS can be made. ..
- Zintzaras E, Sakelaridis N. Is 472G/A catechol-O-methyl-transferase gene polymorphism related to panic disorder?. Psychiatr Genet. 2007;17:267-73 pubmed..Large and more rigorous association studies investigating also the interaction with other genetic/environmental factors might provide more conclusive evidence. ..
- Zintzaras E. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene polymorphisms and schizophrenia: a meta-analysis. Psychiatr Genet. 2007;17:69-75 pubmed..The above findings reinforce the need for large and more rigorous association studies. ..
- Zintzaras E, Rodopoulou P, Koukoulis G. BsmI, TaqI, ApaI and FokI polymorphisms in the vitamin D receptor (VDR) gene and the risk of osteoporosis: a meta-analysis. Dis Markers. 2006;22:317-26 pubmed..Therefore, the relationship between the VDR polymorphisms and osteoporosis remains an unresolved issue and other probable genetic-environmental risk factors interacting with the above polymorphisms should be investigated. ..
- Zintzaras E, Stefanidis I, Santos M, Vidal F. Do alcohol-metabolizing enzyme gene polymorphisms increase the risk of alcoholism and alcoholic liver disease?. Hepatology. 2006;43:352-61 pubmed..The above findings reinforce the need for more rigorous studies, and for regular synthesis of studies' results. ..