Affiliation: Institut Pasteur
- Forterre P. A new fusion hypothesis for the origin of Eukarya: better than previous ones, but probably also wrong. Res Microbiol. 2011;162:77-91 pubmed publisher..I conclude that Eukarya and their viruses more probably evolved from a specific lineage, according to the three domains scenario originally proposed by Carl Woese. ..
- Dahmane N, Gadelle D, Delmas S, Criscuolo A, Eberhard S, Desnoues N, et al. topIb, a phylogenetic hallmark gene of Thaumarchaeota encodes a functional eukaryote-like topoisomerase IB. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016;44:2795-805 pubmed publisher..This newly described thermostable topoisomerases IB should be a promising new model for evolutionary, mechanistic and structural studies. ..
- Forterre P. Giant viruses: conflicts in revisiting the virus concept. Intervirology. 2010;53:362-78 pubmed publisher..I briefly review here the history of these debates and how they lead to new proposals, such as the definition of viruses as capsid-encoding organisms or else the recognition of their fundamentally cellular nature, the virocell concept. ..
- Forterre P. DNA topoisomerase V: a new fold of mysterious origin. Trends Biotechnol. 2006;24:245-7 pubmed..So, where did it come from? It is my contention that Topo V, and many other orphan proteins, could have a viral origin...
- Forterre P, Gribaldo S, Brochier Armanet C. Happy together: genomic insights into the unique Nanoarchaeum/Ignicoccus association. J Biol. 2009;8:7 pubmed publisher....
- Forterre P, Prangishvili D. The great billion-year war between ribosome- and capsid-encoding organisms (cells and viruses) as the major source of evolutionary novelties. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009;1178:65-77 pubmed publisher....
- Forterre P, Prangishvili D. The major role of viruses in cellular evolution: facts and hypotheses. Curr Opin Virol. 2013;3:558-65 pubmed publisher..Several documented cases show that viruses have been involved in the emergence of evolutionary innovations. This gives credit to hypotheses suggesting that viruses have played an important role in the formation of modern cells. ..