Irving E Salit
Affiliation: University of Toronto
- The role of cytology (Pap tests) and human papillomavirus testing in anal cancer screeningIrving E Salit
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Ontario, Canada
AIDS 24:1307-13. 2010..To assess anal oncogenic human papillomavirus (HPV) and anal cytology as screening tests for detecting high-grade anal intraepithelial neoplasia (AIN 2+), as this is an immediate anal cancer precursor...
- Ano-genital human papillomavirus type 97 infection is detected in Canadian men but not women at risk or infected with the human immunodeficiency virusMarie Ève Landry
Departement de Pathologie, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Virol J 9:243. 2012..The prevalence of human papillomavirus type 97 (HPV97) was assessed in cervicovaginal cells from women living in Canada and in anal samples from HIV-seropositive men living in Toronto...
- Travel patterns and risk behaviour of HIV-positive people travelling internationallyIrving E Salit
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, ON
CMAJ 172:884-8. 2005..These risks are even higher among immunocompromised people, such as those with HIV infection. We conducted a study to determine HIV-positive people's travel patterns and risk behaviours while abroad...
- A possible cluster of sexually transmitted Entamoeba histolytica: genetic analysis of a highly virulent strainIrving E Salit
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 49:346-53. 2009..Epidemiologically linked clusters of E. histolytica infection are rare in industrialized countries. We report such a sexually linked cluster in Canada...
- Screening for HIV-associated anal cancer: correlation of HPV genotypes, p16, and E6 transcripts with anal pathologyIrving E Salit
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:1986-92. 2009..HIV-positive men with a history of anal-receptive intercourse are at risk for anal cancer. We determined whether human papilloma virus (HPV) biomarkers were correlated with anal pathology in these men...
- Interobserver agreement in the interpretation of anal intraepithelial neoplasiaAlice Lytwyn
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Cancer 103:1447-56. 2005..Screening for AIN using anal cytology was suggested. The authors evaluated agreement on cytologic and biopsy specimens from HIV-positive men undergoing anal carcinoma screening...
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in HIV infection associated with altered hepatic fatty acid compositionBianca M Arendt
University Health Network, Dept of Medicine, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Curr HIV Res 9:128-35. 2011..Changes may be due to impaired FA metabolism or suboptimal n-3 PUFA intake. The potential role of n-3 PUFA (e.g. fish oil) to treat or prevent HIV/NAFLD warrants further investigation...
- A survey on the usage of supplements in canadian patients living with HIVElaheh Aghdassi
The University Health Network, The Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Curr HIV Res 7:555-61. 2009....
- Cost-effectiveness of screening for anal precancers in HIV-positive menJonathan M C Lam
University of Toronto, Toronto General Hospital, Canada
AIDS 25:635-42. 2011..To assess the cost-effectiveness of high-resolution anoscopy (HRA), anal cytology, and anal human papillomavirus (HPV) detection in screening for histologic high-grade anal intraepithelial neoplasia (AIN 2/3) in HIV-positive MSM...
- In patients with HIV-infection, chromium supplementation improves insulin resistance and other metabolic abnormalities: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trialElaheh Aghdassi
The University Health Network, The Toronto General Hospital, 200 Elizabeth St 9 N 973, Toronto, Ontario M5G2C4, Canada
Curr HIV Res 8:113-20. 2010..In summary, chromium improved insulin resistance, metabolic abnormalities, and body composition in HIV+ patients. This suggests that chromium supplements alleviate some of the antiretroviral-associated metabolic abnormalities...
- Estimation of body fat mass using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry, bioelectric impedance analysis, and anthropometry in HIV-positive male subjects receiving highly active antiretroviral therapyElaheh Aghdassi
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 31:135-41. 2007..As different patterns of abdominal fat accumulation might affect the body FM estimation, correlation and agreement of these methods were also compared in patients with waist to hip ratio (WHR) < or =0.9 and >0.9...
- Cohort profile: the Ontario HIV Treatment Network Cohort Study (OCS)Sean B Rourke
Ontario HIV Treatment Network, Toronto, ON, Canada
Int J Epidemiol 42:402-11. 2013..Interested collaborators are encouraged to submit analysis project proposals as instructed on the study website (www.ohtncohortstudy.ca)...
- Progression From Perianal High-Grade Anal Intraepithelial Neoplasia to Anal Cancer in HIV-Positive Men Who Have Sex With MenJill Tinmouth
1 Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada 2 Sunnybrook Research Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada 3 Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada 4 Department of Medicine, Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada 5 Toronto General Research Institute, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada 6 Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada 7 Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada 8 Department of Family and Community Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dis Colon Rectum 59:836-42. 2016..There are limited reports on the rate of progression from high-grade intraepithelial neoplasia to anal cancer in HIV-positive men who have sex with men...
- Significant interaction between activated charcoal and antiretroviral therapy leading to subtherapeutic drug concentrations, virological breakthrough and development of resistanceAlice L Tseng
Immunodeficiency Clinic, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Antivir Ther 18:735-8. 2013..According to the drug interaction probability scale, our patient experienced a probable drug interaction between activated charcoal and atazanavir/ritonavir leading to virological breakthrough and development of resistance. ..
- HIV-positive patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease have a lower body mass index and are more physically active than HIV-negative patientsSaira S Mohammed
Department of Medicine, University Health Network, University of Toronto, 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 45:432-8. 2007..To determine whether the clinical and metabolic features associated with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) are similar between HIV-positive and HIV-negative male subjects...
- Is chromium an important element in HIV-positive patients with metabolic abnormalities? An hypothesis generating pilot studyElaheh Aghdassi
Department of Medicine, The University Health Network, The Toronto General Hospital, 200 Elizabeth St, Eaton Wing, 9 Floor, Room 217a, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2C4, Canada
J Am Coll Nutr 25:56-63. 2006..Chromium plays a role in insulin sensitivity...
- 38. Anal cancer screening in HIV primary care: uptake and outcomesIrving E Salit
University Health Network, Toronto, ON, Canada
Sex Health 10:588. 2013..Most with HSIL had histological high-grade disease and were treated. IRC was more successful than TCA at ablating high-grade disease. ..
- CD4+ cell count decline despite HIV suppression: a probable didanosine-valganciclovir interactionAlice L Tseng
Immunodeficiency Clinic, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Pharmacother 41:512-7. 2007..To describe a case of significant CD4+ cell decline despite complete viral suppression in an HIV-positive patient receiving didanosine and valganciclovir...
- Environmental scan of anal cancer screening practices: worldwide survey resultsJigisha Patel
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Canada
Cancer Med 3:1052-61. 2014..Our study is the first description of global anal cancer screening practices. Our findings may be used to inform practice and health policy in jurisdictions considering anal cancer screening. ..
- Long-term quality-of-life outcomes among adults living with HIV in the HAART era: the interplay of changes in clinical factors and symptom profileRobert W Burgoyne
Immunodeficiency Clinic, Toronto General Hospital, Ontario, Canada
AIDS Behav 8:151-63. 2004..CD4 repletion offset negative effects of symptoms for some aspects of quality of life. The long-term course of quality of life was somewhat predicted by viral load suppression due to the conjoint influence of symptoms and CD4 count...