Affiliation: Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- Magez S, Radwanska M, Drennan M, Fick L, Baral T, Allie N, et al. Tumor necrosis factor (TNF) receptor-1 (TNFp55) signal transduction and macrophage-derived soluble TNF are crucial for nitric oxide-mediated Trypanosoma congolense parasite killing. J Infect Dis. 2007;196:954-62 pubmed..In conclusion, the control of T. congolense infection depends on macrophage/neutrophil-derived soluble TNF and intact TNFp55 signaling, which induces trypanolytic nitric oxide...
- Magez S, Stijlemans B, Baral T, De Baetselier P. VSG-GPI anchors of African trypanosomes: their role in macrophage activation and induction of infection-associated immunopathology. Microbes Infect. 2002;4:999-1006 pubmed..Their interaction with various cells of the immune system underlies the severe infection-associated pathology. Recent results have shown that anti-GPI vaccination can prevent the occurrence of this pathology. ..
- Magez S, Radwanska M, Stijlemans B, Xong H, Pays E, De Baetselier P. A conserved flagellar pocket exposed high mannose moiety is used by African trypanosomes as a host cytokine binding molecule. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:33458-64 pubmed....
- Magez S, Stijlemans B, Caljon G, Eugster H, De Baetselier P. Control of experimental Trypanosoma brucei infections occurs independently of lymphotoxin-alpha induction. Infect Immun. 2002;70:1342-51 pubmed....
- Magez S, Caljon G, Tran T, Stijlemans B, Radwanska M. Current status of vaccination against African trypanosomiasis. Parasitology. 2010;137:2017-27 pubmed publisher..This paper reviews past and current attempts to design both anti-trypanosome vaccines, as well as vaccines directed towards the inhibition of infection-associated pathology. ..
- Cnops J, Kauffmann F, De Trez C, Baltz T, Keirsse J, Radwanska M, et al. Maintenance of B cells during chronic murine Trypanosoma brucei gambiense infection. Parasite Immunol. 2016;38:642-7 pubmed publisher..This result suggests that in chronic infections with low virulent parasites, less inflammation is elicited and consequently no FoB cell destruction occurs. ..
- Magez S, Truyens C, Merimi M, Radwanska M, Stijlemans B, Brouckaert P, et al. P75 tumor necrosis factor-receptor shedding occurs as a protective host response during African trypanosomiasis. J Infect Dis. 2004;189:527-39 pubmed....
- Magez S, Caljon G. Mouse models for pathogenic African trypanosomes: unravelling the immunology of host-parasite-vector interactions. Parasite Immunol. 2011;33:423-9 pubmed publisher....